Self-Introduction Letter

Subject: Self-Introduction letter to professor Brad Blackstone. 

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is David and I am a student from your effective communication class. I hope you will get to know me more through this self-introduction letter.

Before I started studying mechanical engineering at SIT, I took a diploma in chemical engineering in Singapore polytechnic in 2019. I did not enjoy the chemical industry-related modules that were part of the course as well as the internship which involved me working in a company at Jurong island. This led me to rethink what I wanted to study in the future. Throughout the polytechnic course, many mathematics and physics modules kept me interested, which was what I looked for when choosing the mechanical engineering degree. Furthermore, I was also interested to learn programming, which this degree also offered. 

During my polytechnic days, many projects were assigned to us and many of them involved working in a team. This was where I found a communication strength that I had, being a good listener. This was important as communication goes both ways and as I allowed others to speak first, I was able to digest their information and enhanced or altered my responses to them. Due to many project groups being assigned by the lecturers, working with unfamiliar teammates were a common occurrence, and that meant that my strength was also helpful.

Back when I was still in polytechnic was also where I discovered my weakness. Many group projects meant there were many presentations that I had to partake in. There were both group and individual presentations, and I struggled with both of them. I had difficulties expressing my work or information to a large audience as I tend to rush and speed through the content when speaking. This led to information being either forgotten or mixed up and therefore resulted in me pausing.

Overcoming my weakness, struggling to speak in front of a large audience, is one of the 2 goals I have for this module. The other goal would be to improve my writing skills in reports and letters. Both of them are important tasks that I will be required to do in the future. I believe that both goals can be achieved if I actively listen and participate in your classes as well as complete the assignments given to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I hope that it gave you a better understanding of me. I look forward to your upcoming classes.

Best regards,

David

Edited on 04/2/2022 

Commented on:

Jayme's Blog

Yan Ning's Blog

Joshua's Blog

Comments

  1. Hi David! Thank you for writing this letter! The letter was well written as the points that you stated were well elaborated. However, I feel that there can be a few more things to be improved. Firstly, I feel that for a formal letter it would be best if you can start off with "Dear Professor Brad" instead of "Dear Prof Brad". In both the third and forth paragraph, I feel that you can start off with "Back when I was still in polytechnic," or "During my polytechnic days," instead of "In polytechnic,". Other than that, I feel that you wrote well. I hope that my suggestions have helped you. See you around in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, thank you for taking time to write this letter, you've covered all the points needed and your sentences are well structured. However, there are some areas that can be improved.

    In my opinion, the first two sentence in your second paragraph can be more concise.
    "Before I started studying mechanical engineering at SIT, I took a diploma course in Singapore polytechnic in 2019. The course I took was a diploma in chemical engineering. " the second part of your first sentence and your second sentence can be combined as one. By rephrasing these sentences, you can avoid repeating "diploma" in two sentences. e.g. "...I took a diploma in chemical engineering in Singapore Polytechnic."

    I appreciate the fact that you shared how you begin to be interested in mechanical engineering, I feel like you've explained yourself clearly with the experience you mentioned. Other than that, you've also mentioned your strengths and weaknesses in details. Overall, this letter did help me get to know a little bit more about you. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, I am glad to learn more about you through this letter which was concise and everything was well elaborated. However, I noticed some parts that can be further improved. The 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph, "I hope you will get to know me more through this self-introduction letter" would sound better and the comma will not be needed. The 2nd paragraph can be shortened by combining the first 2 sentences or rewriting it as "I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2019 with a diploma in chemical engineering". Overall, it was a well-written letter and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the letter and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    this was a great introductory letter. It is clear, concise, and objective in including all the information about yourself. The flow of the letter was good as there were no repetitive sections. As for the parts that can be improved, in the first paragraph, you only mentioned SIT as an acronym. You can use the full name of the school "Singapore Institute of Technology" for your first mention as there may be random readers who are unsure of what it stands for. Lastly, in the second last paragraph, it could be written as "Overcoming my weakness, which is struggling to speak in front of a large audience" to show that the sentence after the comma is explaining what this weakness is.
    All in all, this was a good introductory letter. Keep up the good work and I hope to work with you in the upcoming weeks. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi David, I managed to know a lot more about you after reading your letter. I think that your introduction was great, everything was clear and the flow was very good. I hope to see you overcome your weakness and achieve your desired goals.

    Thank you for writing and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear David,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and richly detailed letter. You do an excellent job in covering the scope of the assignment as you detail your educational background, your interest in mechanical engineering, and your comm skill levels. At the same time, in this reflection you're able to tie your prior experience in poly to your comm skills needs and module aims. I do have one question after reading this letter: Besides listening, what is the paramount comm skill for group/team work?

    In terms of your language use, this letter is fluent, but there are a few problem areas to take note of:

    1. sentence structure (+ punctuation)
    -- ...that were part of the course as well as the internship where it involved me working in a company at Jurong island. > (wrong connector/relative pronoun) ...that were part of the course as well as the internship which involved me working in a company at Jurong island.

    -- ...many mathematics & physics modules kept me interested which was what I looked for when choosing the mechanical engineering degree. > (phrasing) ...many mathematics AND physics modules kept me interested, which was what motivated me when choosing the mechanical engineering degree.

    -- ...Furthermore, I was also interested to learn programming which this degree also offered. >
    Furthermore, I was also interested to learn programming, which this degree also offered.

    -- Due to many groups being assigned by the lecturers, unfamiliar teammates were a common occurrence which meant that my strength was also helpful. > (punctuation) ?

    -- There were both group and individual presentations and I struggled with both of them. >
    (punctuation)
    There were both group and individual presentations, and I struggled with both of them.

    2. verb issues
    -- This led to information being either forgotten or mixed up and therefore result in me pausing. > (lack of consistency) ?

    Overall, this letter presents you as someone who is willing to do what it takes to develop your skills. I appreciate that attitude.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Unit 1 Task 3: Paraphrasing